ESL Logo

How do students qualify for ESL?

After checking the home language survey completed by parents, students are given an English language proficiency test called the WIDA Screener. Students may qualify for ESL services based on the results of this test. 

How do students exit out of ESL?

A student may exit after receiving a 4.5 on the ACCESS 2.0 or WIDA MODEL, teacher recommendations, and passing marks on State tests and classroom grades.

How long do students receive ESL services?

There is no specific timeline for our ESL program. Students will remain in the program until they receive a score of 4.5 or higher on their ESL ACCESS test.

 What happens after students exit ESL?

Students are monitored by their ESL teacher for 4 years with communication with their general classroom teachers.  

           What do students miss in the main classroom for ESL instruction?

Elementary:  Students will not miss specials such as Music, Art or Gym to attend ESL class. The ESL teacher will work with the classroom teacher to develop a schedule that may include pull-out and/or push-in instruction.

Middle School: Students will have all content area classes except World Language (Italian, Spanish, or French) and/or Social Studies.

High School: Students have ESL class and ESL content area classes.

When is the annual ESL ACCESS test?

Students will take the ESL ACCESS test between late February and early April.


How can students study for the ACCESS test?

Students will not need to study for the test.  They will be exposed to the testing website and procedures during their ESL class at school.  The ACCESS test measures the overall acquisition of the English language in speaking, reading, writing, and listening. 

How does my student qualify and register for the ESL Summer Program?

All ESL students entering 2nd grade through 8th grade are encouraged to attend. Your student’s ESL teacher will provide registration forms in early spring. 

How do you register for Parsippany Troy-Hills School District (PTHSD)?


The following link will provide you with information on how to register your child in Parsippany Troy-Hills Township Schools.  Once the paperwork is completed please call your local school. Forms are linked on the website, please click this link:

Where do I apply for Free/Reduced Lunch?  

The school nurse in your student’s school can provide you with an application for Free/Reduced lunch.  You can click on the link to apply online.

What is Genesis?

Parsippany uses the Genesis online program to manage student records.  There will be a Parent Training in September.

Who do I contact for questions?

You can contact your student’s ESL teacher via phone or email. If you are not sure of their contact information, you can call the school or check here:

When are school parent teacher conferences held?

  • Elementary conferences are in November and late February/early March
  • Middle School conferences are in November

    How do I get a translator or interpreter?

To request a translator for parent meetings, registration, or conferences, please contact your school’s ESL teacher or school secretary.

How do students call out or leave early from school?

  • Students can send a note in the morning with the time and reason.  
  • Parents/Guardians can also notify the school through Genesis under the “Attendance” tab. 
  • At the time of pickup, please bring your ID and go to the Main Office.

 Is there before and after school care for students?


Yes.  Safe Kids in Parsippany (SKIP) is held in each school from kindergarten to 8th grade. To register for SKIP please visit or call 973-263-7200.

What online resources are available to help my student? 

Where are the local libraries in Parsippany?

There are three public libraries in Parsippany Troy-Hills Township.  Click on the following link for more information on how to get a library card and how to register for children, teens, and adult programs.   Here’s the link:

library information

How do I join the Lake Hiawatha Swim Club?


The Lake Hiawatha Swim Club is a community pool open for all Parsippany Troy-Hills residents.  For more information you can go to or call them at (973)335-3576.


    Where can adults learn English?

  • Parsippany Troy-Hills School District offers free adult classes to all family/guardians of our ESL students.  Adult ESL classes run once a week during the fall and spring semesters. 
  • Morris County School of Technology: Class locations and registration information can be found at: or call at 973-627-4600.
  • County College of Morris: Please call (973)328-5530 for more information. 
  • Morris School District Community School: Call 973-292-2063 for more information.  


How do I sign up my student up for intramural soccer and baseball/softball?


Please go to the following links for registration:


  Is there a food pantry in Parsippany?


The Parsippany Community Center has a food pantry that is located on 1130 Knoll Road in Lake Hiawatha, NJ 07034.  The phone number is (973)263-7163. They are open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Friday.